So lately babies have been the topic of discussion. You know when you get to a point in your life and it seems like everyone is getting engaged, and then you get to the point where it is just wedding after wedding, well I think it is officially that point in my life where everyone and their sister is having a baby. Don't get me wrong I love them and I love their little ones but I mean it is hard to go from the majority to the minority in a year's time.
One minute you are sitting around and chilling and the next people have to leave because their son or daughter needs to go to bed, talk about a reality check.
And then of course that gets you thinking.....will it ever be my turn? I mean is this something that is in my future or am I just destined to be a part of everyone elses big moment? Not that I mind I mean I feel like an aunt sometimes, and it is a great feeling to be so involved with such a joyous and exciting experience such as having a baby, but I just have mixed feelings about the whole thing.....is that wrong?
Then of course people begin to ask....you know what I mean....
"So when are you going to have kids?"
Really? I mean could you get anymore personal than that? Why do people take the topic so lightly, I mean they ask like they are just asking you what you do for a living....not even close to the same thing people.
Children are a LIFE CHANGING event, and while this is a great thing you have to be ready to commit, you can't go into it lighthearted and you definitely can't take it back if it doesn't really work out for you, this is not a sweater or a pair of shoes you purchased and later decided that it just wasn't for you.
When you are asking someone when they are going to have children it is a loaded question and unless you are close enough to this person that they will entrust you with anything they are going through, you might not want to ask. I mean who knows maybe they are struggling with infertility, maybe they have even lost a baby, or it could be as simple as, they aren't ready yet, maybe not ever. I think so many times we just expect people to have children, I mean it is the next logical step but I mean people are waiting longer and longer to have a family and sometimes a family is just 2 people or 2 people and a dog, the word family means so many things to so many people.
So while this topic has left me confused and at the same time happy I am still left pondering....
I do want to say that although I am not yet sure if I will ever be blessed with the experience as my friends have been I love them and I love that they trust me enough to confide in me and ask me how they look in a new maternity top and even more than that I love being an "aunt" to so many new little ones. To visit a new mom in the hospital and hold that little baby is a neat thing to say the least and then to watch them grow up, well I might not be a parent but "they do grow up fast."
So although I might not be in the right spot to give you advice on when to feed your baby solid food or when they should be walking I love to tag along to help you get a new maternity top and help your new nursery look "super cute."
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.